Mica Corporation was founded to bring sustainability to the converting industry. Our products are water-based, are made with sustainably sourced raw materials whenever possible, and can be used in applications that are reusable, recyclable, repulpable and compostable. We are continuously working to reduce our impact on the environment and give back to the communities we serve.
We envision a future where Mica Corporation is carbon neutral, and that wherever our activities have environmental impact, our footprint is minimal. We choose to take a proactive approach to sustainability, and we stand ready to work with our customers and partners to make a difference.
Sustainability has always been at the forefront of our innovation strategy. We were among the first to develop water-based primers and coatings in a predominately solvent-based industry, and we take pride in continuing to be the first to market with sustainable solutions for the global converting industry today.
MICA products have been used in the manufacture of thin-film, lightweight, biodegradable, compostable, reusable, and recyclable structures.
Our products help our customers:
- downgauge materials in a variety of structures
- minimize post-consumer waste
- improve packaging barrier to reduce food waste
- add the functionality needed for mono-material packages
- create 100% commercially compostable structures
MICA MC-634 is an aqueous emulsion designed to be used as an adhesion promoter, or sealing layer, for compostable substrates and extrudates, such as paper, PLA and PHA, and metalized bio-based film.
It passes all of the Biodegradable Products Institute’s (BPI) rigorous testing requirements, including ASTM D6400 as a standalone product.
This means that MC-634 completely biodegrades in municipal and industrial composting facilities. It can help paper and packaging professionals achieve ambitious goals to create more sustainable food and beverage packaging while simultaneously helping to solve a global waste problem that has been negatively impacting the environment for decades.
We are working to minimize our impact on the environment by continuously evaluating and streamlining our manufacturing processes. We strive to be a good corporate citizen and to build lasting, beneficial, and interactive relationships in the communities where we operate.
Actions we are taking to keep our carbon footprint to a minimum:
- Our headquarters is equipped with a cool roof, a modern HVAC system, and industrial fans to minimize electrical usage and gas consumption.
- We conduct regular assessments to identify opportunities to better manage our energy use, water use, supply chain, waste streams, and transportation.
- Solar panels generate 30% of our electrical needs each year.
- Our products are formulated to the highest possible concentration to reduce the environmental impact of shipping and limit the amount of fuel and energy usage in the supply chain.
- All MICA products are shipped in recyclable or reusable containers.
We are helping our customers and development partners achieve their sustainability goals. We work with companies that want to be the first to market with cutting-edge sustainable products. We believe that together we can contribute to achieving sustainability in our industry on a global scale.
Wherever you are in your sustainability journey,
we want to work with you to find a solution.
We continuously seek out high-performance raw materials that help us reach our sustainability goals and deliver performance for our customers. We are committed to using renewable raw materials whenever possible. When sourcing materials, we consider the product performance, as well as the potential environmental and economic impacts of the product's entire lifecycle.
We are actively seeking to partner with raw material suppliers that share our sustainability values. If you have fossil-free, renewable, or other sustainable raw materials, our product development team stands ready to work with you.